The red X at the bottom marks where the ship tied up.
Rhodes (Greek Ródhos) is the capital of the Dodecanese in southeastern Greece, on the Aegean Sea.
The old walled city was built mainly in the early 14th century by the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem.
The city wall
One of the towers built every 50 meters into the wall surrounding the town to protect from pirates and invaders.
Part of the port
The Palace of the Grand Masters
The palace was built in the 14th century by the Knights of Rhodes (now officially known as the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes, and of Malta), who occupied Rhodes from 1309 to 1522. After the island was captured by the Ottoman Empire, the palace was used as a fortress. The original palace was largely destroyed by an ammunition explosion in 1856. When the Kingdom of Italy occupied Rhodes in 1912, the Italians rebuilt the palace in a pseudo-medieval style.
The Palace wall
The outer-most of the three moats surrounding the Palace of the Grand Masters.
An arched entrance to the Palace of the Grand Masters.
Remember these builders didn’t have any gas-powered stone saws or steel chisels!